Sharing & permissions introduction
Hex makes it easy to share your work and manage access.
What can you share in Hex?
You can share different resources or workspace assets in Hex depending on your workspace role.
- Admins and Editors (as well as Guests with the necessary permissions) can share projects, components, and collections.
- Admins can also share workspace assets (data connections and secrets).
- Viewers can copy and distribute existing links to projects, Apps, and components, but cannot grant additional access. .
How can you share?
There are four main methods for sharing in Hex:
- Share a specific resource or asset (learn more)
- Add users to a workspace or group (learn more)
- Add users to a collection (learn more)
- Embed an App or cell outside of Hex (learn more)
Share a specific resource or asset
The simplest way to share your work with collaborators is to invite them directly. You’ll need their email address if they’re not already a member of the workspace.
- Share a specific project or component with an individual user, group, the entire workspace, or the web.
- Share a data connection or secret with a group or the entire workspace.
Add users to a workspace or group
Admins can add new users as workspace members, and add workspace members to a user group, which grants access to any projects, components, or collections shared with the workspace or group. This can be done manually from Settings > Users and Settings > Groups, or be configured with directory sync.
- Add users to your workspace to give them access to everything shared with the workspace.
- Add users to a user group to give them access to everything shared with that group.
Add users to a collection
A collection is a way to organize and share related resources with a set of users. You can add a user as a member of a collection to grant them access to all of that collection’s projects or components.
- Add users to a collection to give them access to everything shared with the collection.
Embed an App or cell outside of Hex
To share your work outside of Hex, you can embed an App or cell in a website, or paste a Hex link into Notion and generate a preview.
What permissions are there?
There are different types of permissions available for different resources.
- Projects can be shared with Full Access, Can Edit, Can View, or App Only permissions (Learn more).
- Components can be shared with Full Access, Can Edit, or Can Import permissions (Learn more).
What if you have conflicting permissions?
Project permissions are additive
In general, permissions are additive, not restrictive.
It’s possible for one user to receive different permissions for a single project or component if the user belongs to a group, workspace, or collection. In these cases, the highest permission wins.
For example, say you share a project with an individual and grant Full Access permissions. Later, you share the same project with a collection that the individual is a member of, granting Can View permissions. The individual will retain their Full Access permissions.
Workspace roles and assets can restrict project permissions
In contrast to permissions, workspace roles and asset access are restrictive.
- The Viewer workspace role restricts users to Can View or App Only project permissions. If you invite a workspace Viewer to a project and attempt to assign Can Edit or Full Access permissions, you will see a notice that the user is restricted to Can View permissions based on their role (Learn more).
- Access to workspace assets, including data connections and secrets, also restricts project permissions. A user without access to one of the workspace data connections or secrets used in a project can receive only Can View or App Only permissions on that project.